Year and Place of First Admission
www1991 High Court
www2006, Northern Territory
Areas of Practice
- Wills, Estates, Probate.
- Family Law (including complex property, parenting, recovery orders, injunctions, divorce, child support, spousal maintenance, adoption, and de facto relationships including for those who identify as LGBTIQ).
- NT Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT) matters particularly Adult Guardianship cases.
- Mental Health including Mental Health Review Tribunal matters.
- Domestic Violence including defending applications for a domestic violence order (DVO) and breach of DVO cases.
- Human Rights
2015 – Current, Accredited Specialist – Family Law (Law Institute of Victoria).
2007 – Current, Accredited Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) Practitioner (Mediator) https://www.ag.gov.au/FamiliesAndMarriage/Families/FamilyDisputeResolution/Pages/default.aspx
2011 – Current, NT Ochre card (working with children)
2018 – Current, Accredited Arbitrator (Australian Institute of Family Law Mediators & Arbitrators)
Lindy has appeared as an advocate in the Local Court, Magistrates Court, Supreme Court, Federal Magistrates Court (as it previously was), Federal Circuit Court, and the Family Court of Australia in the Northern Territory (NT) and interstate. Lindy has also appeared before various Tribunals including the Mental Health Review Tribunal and the Social Security Appeals Tribunal.
Lindy has worked in private practice and for Legal Aid in the NT and interstate. Whilst at Legal Aid Queensland Lindy was responsible for managing staff in offices in Brisbane, Townsville and Woodridge.
In 2006 Lindy moved to the NT; she has practiced as a Solicitor and Barrister in Darwin since then. During this period Lindy has also mediated a number of NT Legal Aid Commission cases in her role as an accredited FDR Practitioner.
In March 2018 Lindy was called to the Bar. Lindy joins Chambers with a well-established reputation in the NT for excellence in her areas of specialty.
Lindy’s many years as an experienced, highly qualified specialist advocate and solicitor will ensure she is able to provide accurate, timely and expert advice and opinions, in addition to, settling documents, to the highest of standards. Lindy will further maintain the best traditions of the independent bar as Counsel in her areas of expertise.
Degrees, Appointments and Memberships
- 1989 – LLB (University of Melbourne).
- 2007 – July 2013, member, Legal Practitioners’ Disciplinary Tribunal (NT Attorney-General’s representative).
- 2008-9 – President NT Women Lawyers’ Association.
- 2008-9 – Councillor, NT Law Society (NTLS) & member of several NTLS committees.
- 2011-12 – Lecturer and Tutor in Family Law and Lecturer in Succession (Charles Darwin University).
- 2013-2017 – Volunteer, Top End Women’s Legal Service (TEWLS) Darwin).
- 2018 – Volunteer supervisor TEWLS
- 2013 – Current, Mentor to Juris Doctor Students, Melbourne University Law School.
- 2013 – Board member, ‘Off the Leash’ community arts magazine (NT).
- Prior to 2006 – Board member Chisholm Refuge (Qld), Board member Immigrant Women’s Support Service (Qld), Volunteer Lawyer at Women’s Legal Service (Brisbane) and ordinary member Brisbane Domestic Violence Advocacy Service.
Other Professional Memberships (current)
Family Law Section, Law Council of Australia
Law Institute of Victoria
Law Society of the Northern Territory.
Woman Lawyers’ Association (NT)
Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators
University College (alumni)
Melbourne University Law School (alumni)
Her major cases include
Keegan & Webber  FCCA 2685
Pitman & Bond  FCCA 2126
Rathbone & Robinson  FMCAfam 358
In the matter of the MJ, CC and AC children  NTMC 31
CEO Department of Children and Families v Re”Annabel”  NTMC 13
CEO for Children & Families (Re”Bobbie”)  NTMC 018
CEO for Children & Families v RN and TW  NTMC 06
In the matter of SN  NTMC 035
Re Michael  NTMC 049
Pitman & Bond (No 2)  FMCAfam 1316
Lindy is a trained mediator in Family Law disputes and is registered on the Australian Government Attorney-General’s Department website as an accredited Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) Practitioner.
Lindy has had extensive experience in mediation and has the expertise to extend this skill set outside the Family Law arena.
Lindy is an Arbitrator accredited by the Australian Institute of Family Law Arbitrators and Mediators (AIFLAM). Lindy is available to assist as an Arbitrator in Family Law property, spousal maintenance or financial agreement disputes.
William Forster Chambers
26 Harry Chan Avenue
Darwin NT 0800
PO Box 4369
DARWIN NT 0801
Tel: + 61 (0)8 8982 4700
Fax: + 61 (0)8 8941 1541