Tertiary Qualifications and Admissions
- Bachelor of Laws (Adelaide), 1981
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (SAIT), 1982
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Wine Science) (Charles Sturt University), 2001
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of South Australia on 21 December 1981
- Admitted to the High Court of Australia, December 1981
- Admitted as a Solicitor to the High Court of England and Wales, 1991
Appointed Queen’s Counsel 17 January 2008
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), 2017
- Fellow of the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA), 2017
- President, Australian Bar Association, 2016-2017, Vice President, 2015-2016
- Chair, International Committee, Australian Bar Association, 2017-
- President South Australian Bar Association, 2012-2014, Vice-President, 2012
- Council of the South Australian Bar Association Bar, 2010-2016
- Council of The Law Society of South Australia, 1994-1997
- Chairman, Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators (SA Chapter), 1996, 1997, 1998
Areas of Practice
Banking, Finance, Building, Construction and Engineering, Commercial, Company Law, Contract, De facto Relationships, Equity, Trusts, Inquests, Insurance, Landlord and Tenant, Mediations, Arbitrations, Personal Injury, Professional Negligence, Sports Law, Trade Practices, Consumer Protection, Transportation Law
Patrick O’Sullivan QC is a leading commercial silk, with a specialist practice in major public and mining infrastructure arbitrations, and commercial construction disputes.
Patrick offers deep experience as a court, arbitration, and appellate advocate with a general commercial practice. Patrick accepts instructions to appear as Senior Counsel in arbitrations (both domestic and international), first instance and appellate hearings in the Federal Court of Australia, and superior courts in all Australian jurisdictions. Patrick also accepts appointment as an Arbitrator, Expert Determiner, and Mediator in his areas of expertise.
Patrick was recognised in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession (2018) as a “Pre-eminent South Australian Senior Counsel” in the field of construction, and as a “Leading South Australian Senior Counsel” for commercial litigation.
Patrick is a past President of the Australian Bar Association, the South Australian Bar Association, and is the current Chair of the ABA’s International Committee.
Prior to joining the Bar in 1997, Patrick practiced as Senior Crown Counsel with the Hong Kong Government, appearing regularly in the High Court of Hong Kong and the Privy Council, in addition to roles as Partner of commercial law firms Lynch & Meyer, and Fisher Jeffries. Patrick signed the roll of counsel in 1997 and took Silk in 2008.
24 Flinders Street
Adelaide SA 5000
Tel: + 61 (0)8 8231 2344
Fax: + 61 (0)8 8212 3232